My View is Askew
We always knew Gillianne had some mild delays. She has been slow to do certain things and she has always had low muscle tone. We have always attributed her issues to her lack of nutrition and health issues. Now that we seem to be getting those under control I decided it was time for a physical therapy evaluation. In my mind I felt like I would take her in and they would look at me and say there was nothing to worry about, I guess it ain't so.
My expectations of her are more of a 15 month old because that is more her size. In reality her locomotor skills scored that of an 11 month old, her grasping skills of a 15 month old, hand - eye coordination 15 months and fine motor 19 months. I am shocked. I knew there was a little delay but the scores today made my jaw drop.
It's really not that she cannot do these things but her scores are that low because the quality of her movements. The therapist went on to recommend 6-12 months of therapy, once a week. She did offer EI Services (free) and said we would quaify easily given her current scores. I guess that can be seen as a positive and a negative. We have decided to remain private insurance through the summer because Gillianne has connected with this therapist and the facilities are wonderful, Gillianne has a lot of fun there.
Just one more thing! At least I get time to play every week with my little girl.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home