Going Home? Maybe?
That's right! There is a good chance we can go home today. It makes me a little nervous from a financial standpoint but it's better for my mind and her health. The problem is always that if we have to come back it's another $400 co-pay. As you can imagine, those are starting to add up quickly and it's really cutting into my shopping money. Well, I suppose healthcare instead of clothes is okay.
She vomited just a tiny bit last night (of which I didn't tell the nurse). Her appetite isn't huge but it is picking up a bit. Of course she on enough fluids to water a desert, so until those stop I don't expect much from her appetite, which is why going home makes sense.
It's also very difficult to feed her here. I brought some food from home but it never fails when I meet with dietary, someone somewhere decides a cheeseburger patty and french fries isn't enough and has to toss on 10 packets of catsup, an apple juice and some canned vegetable she cannot have. Clearly, they haven't seen the fight she puts up when I take those things away from her.

I did talk with my regular pediatrician yesterday and we discussed this newest theory of renal tubular acidosis. The bottom line is this may be a good thing in the greater scheme of things. This is Gillianne's third admit to the hospital since January for metabolic acidosis. In addition, she is in a chronic state of low ketosis which has never been explained until this. With this diagnosis she would take a supplement and hopefully when she does get sick, it wouldn't be THIS bad. We decided we cannot do the testing now because she is too loaded with Sodium Bicarb from her IV so we will wait and be seen by nephrology and decide the course of diagnosis and treatment at that time.
Okay, time to go scrounge some money from people so I can go down and get a decent cup of coffee. Word to the wise: Don't forget to bring cash with you to the hospital.

5 Comments:
Hi Chelsea, I haven't been around much so just catching up on you and Gillianne. I'm sorry it got so bad but I'm glad you're home now (read the board). Stomach bugs suck!
Hugs Girl.
Glad you guys are home now! I hope you're feeling better today. Those pics of her in the hospital really break my heart. Sending more ***get well*** vibes!
poor girl! That picture is so heartbreaking.. I'm glad you guys are home. Hopefully this will be the last of the ER visits for awhile. (hugs)
Aw, she looks so sweet and yet so sad in that crib.
That lamb is adorable though :)
AWWWW that pic just breaks my heart! Poor little Gillianne and poor Mommy! I hope all gets better soon!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home