Mama Drama Starring Princess Gillianne

This is the life of a proud princess, Gillianne Danielle. Born August 2, 2004.

Just 2 Appointments left!

I feel like all we have done is go to appointment after appointment lately, but we are now down to the final two, YEAH!

Today we see the rheumatologist and then go to physical therapy, which I guess is an appointment we will continue to have but it's a fun one. Tomorrow we meet with the water therapist who is going to teach me how to help Gillianne in the pool. I am so excited for that appointment.

The big news though.....Hold on to your seats................22 lbs!!!!!!!!!!

It's an allstar record for weight gain and I am just thrilled beyond belief. I doubt she can keep it up like that for too long but a little bit more and she will be a normal size child. She actually has a little bit of a thigh on her not just sticks for legs. With the removal oatmeal & soy from her diet we have also resolved the big bloated belly.

But I did have one hair raising moment this week. What do you think would be the one thing a Dr could say to me that would have me hit the floor? Yup, breastfeeding. The nephrologists jaw dropped when we discussed Gillianne's fluid intake and I told her she gets 1-2 sippy cups of whole milk with sugar free instant breakfast and breastmilk. Despite my follow-up that Gillianne took 16 oz of breastmilk one day last week when I did AC/PC weights, she decided we need to push "other" fluids. Poop pn her, I ain't doing it. I immediately called my pediatrician who said we don't have to listen to that. I love her!

The nephrologist did start Gillianne on daily baking soda to get her bicarb up so she has more reserves when she gets sick. She wasn't quick to call it renal tubular acidosis but had done her reading of HFI and knows the two things go hand in hand. Easy enough, will do.

She also ordered a kidney u/s and a VCUG. Gillianne's kidneys were on the small end of normal at her last u/s so I don't mind another one but I have declined the VCUG. Again. My ped and I discussed it and we both feel that with only one UTI in her history and the research that preventive antibiotics aren't that effective, why put her through it?

While it's good to know there is no major problem with her kidneys, which we never suspected there was, the appointment was a waste of 2 hours simply to be insulted about breastfeeding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home